Kalamazoo Public Schools
Is Seeking Applicants For
The mission of the Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS), a model international community of learners, is to ensure that all students are responsible, contributing members of a global society through an educational system characterized by the highest academic achievements for all students; the development of the unique talents and abilities of each person; unlimited opportunities for all; exemplary, caring teachers and staff; inspired, personalized teaching and learning; and the dedicated involvement of the full community. KPS is home to the Kalamazoo Promise, which provides free college tuition for eligible graduates of KPS high schools. This nationally recognized program has energized the KPS community.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizes and provides leadership for strong educational activities for students. Works effectively with PreK-12 colleagues. Provides direction to ensure academic achievement and social growth for all students. Manages programs, leads staff and faculty to develop an optimal learning climate for the school. Provides leadership in the evaluation of the strengths and programmatic needs of the school in relation to local and district goals. Prepares and achieves high standards for quality and excellence. Effectively communicates the school's program to parents and the local community
1. Provides leadership of the total instructional program of the school. Supervises and evaluates all personnel assigned to the school.
2. Administers, manages and supervises the operation of the school in compliance with the Board of Education policy and the directions of the Superintendent.
3. Assists in the recruiting, screening and recommending of qualified candidates for positions on the elementary school staff and in the orientation of new personnel.
4. Plans and administers staff development activities.
5. Maintains student conduct and enforces discipline in compliance with district procedures and according to due process rights of students.
6. Supervises the maintenance of accurate records on the progress and attendance of students through report cards and conferences.
7. Provides for annual and long-range plans for educational programs.
8. Administers a plan for utilization of volunteers.
9. Assumes responsibility for the safety and security of all students and staff.
10. Prepares and submits requests for purchases, repairs and monitors expenditures and funds relative to budget.
11. Collects, analyzes and disseminates student data to inform the school improvement process as it relates to raising student achievement.
12. Performs other tasks as assigned by the Director of Elementary Education.
- Master’s degree in teaching, educational leadership or related field.
- Possess a successful work history.
- Meet or be willing to meet the State school administrator’s certification or continuing education requirement.
- Three (3) years of successful teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience in advancing student achievement.
6. Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
7. Technology skills for communication, data analysis and report writing.
8. Knowledge of or experience with elementary school curriculum, data analysis, performance assessment and school improvement planning.
9. Experience in an urban or diverse setting.
1. Successful building-level administrative experience.
2. Knowledge of Lucy Caulkins’ writing program.
3. Knowledge of Charlotte Danielson’s Framework for Teaching.
- Successful experience in a multicultural, urban school district.
Interested applicants should apply online and attach their application to this posting.
Internal candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume to the
Human Resources Department attention:
Sheila Dorsey-Smith, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
Kalamazoo Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008
(269) 337-0177 FAX (269) 337-0185
Position will be posted until filled.
Visit our web site at: http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com
Kalamazoo Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.